Stephen Sondheim has died. I was not a connoisseur. He was responsible for the lyrics to Bernstein's West Side Story, for me the greatest of all American musicals. A new movie version of this is coming out on December 10 which I must see.
West Side Story [lyrics only]
- I loved the original movie of this with Natalie Wood and Rita Moreno. It was done at the Sacramento Music Circus in 2015 where I saw it live. I seem to have complained about the production.
Sweeney Todd Since I began blogging I have seen three different versions of this show.
- In 2008 came the incredible movie starring Johnny Depp as the demon barber, Helena Bonham Carter as Mrs. Lovett and Sacha Baron Cohen. I seem to have enjoyed it rather more than expected.
- In 2014 the New York Philharmonic put on a semi-staged version with an amazing cast: Bryn Terfel as Todd, Emma Thompson as Mrs. Lovett, Erin Mackey as Johanna and Audra McDonald as The Beggar Woman. They made this work and made a fantastic group.
- In 2015 the San Francisco Opera presented it as an opera which I saw live. It didn't fill the seats. The cast: Sweeney Todd: Brian Mulligan, Mrs. Lovett: Stephanie Blythe, Johanna: Heidi Stober and Beggar Woman: Elizabeth Futral. Stephanie is great in anything she does. I feel like I've done this, but nothing erases the Mrs Lovett of Angela Lansbury.
Sunday in the Park with George I tried to see this in London, but couldn't get a ticket.
- So instead I saw it live on Broadway in 2008. It set me to thinking about art.
Into the Woods
It's a mash up of fairy tale stories.
- In 2013 I saw this live presented by the Sacramento Light Opera theater. I enjoyed it.
- Then in 2015 came the movie with Meryl Streep. I called it an excellent film adaptation.
It is strange to realize that there are no hit tunes from any of these where the music is by Sondheim. I haven't seen A Little Night Music.