Davidsen, Petrenko, Gerhaher
1. Ich bin friedlos, ich bin durstig nach fernen Dingen - baritone
2. O Mutter, der junge Prinz - soprano
3. Du bist die Abendwolke - baritone
4. Sprich zu mir, Geliebter - soprano
5. Befrei mich von den Banden deiner Süße, Lieb - baritone
6. Vollende denn das letzte Lied - soprano
7. Friede, mein Herz - baritone
Alexander von Zemlinsky - Lyrische Symphonie, Op. 18 (1923), Lise Davidsen and Christian Gerhaher performed with the Berliner Philharmoniker and Kirill Petrenko conducting. Texts are taken from The Gardener by Rabindranath Tagore in a German translation by Hans Effenberger.
I admit to being fascinated by this piece which I will call post romantic. It's intense. The purpose of the concert is to bring back memories of three Jewish composers driven out of Germany and Austria by the Nazis. The other two composers are Erwin Schulhoff and Leone Sinigaglia.
I am here for Lise Davidsen, of course. I am beginning to feel curious about Zemlinsky. His opera Der Zwerg was supposed to be presented in San Francisco, but was cancelled due to covid. Perhaps I should look into it. Both Davidsen and Gerhaher express the music well.