Saturday evening the Sacramento Philharmonic and Opera performed at the Sacramento Community Center Theater.
Andrew Grams, conductor
Rachel Barton Pine, violin
Prokofiev Violin Concerto No. 1 (1923)
- Scherzo: Vivacissimo
- Moderato – Allegro moderato
She played her own theme and variations arrangement of the New Zealand national anthem as an encore. One was reminded of Paganini.
Brahms Symphony No. 1 (1876)
- Un poco sostenuto — Allegro – Meno allegro (C minor, ending in C major)
- Andante sostenuto (E major)
- Un poco allegretto e grazioso (A♭ major)
- Adagio — Più andante — Allegro non troppo, ma con brio – Più allegro (C minor – C major)
The hall is being acoustically redesigned with panels that angle down over the orchestra. I felt the orchestra sounded much more like an ensemble than in the past, so perhaps the redesign is working.