A lot of previous winners were on the program:
Isabel Leonard, 2013 Richard Tucker Award Winner
2012 Ailyn Pérez
2011 Angela Meade
2009 Stephen Costello
2004 Matthew Polenzani
2002 Joyce DiDonato
1999 Stephanie Blythe
1990 Renée Fleming
Other equally wonderful people on the program:
Maestro Riccardo Frizza
- Isabel Leonard "Gracia mia" by Granados.
- Stephen Costello and his wife Ailyn Pérez did a scene from The Elixir of Love. She gets more and more beautiful.
- Eric Owens sang "Te Deum" from Tosca. I find his voice very beautiful but not very evil sounding.
- Renée and Susan sang the Flower duet from Lakme. Gorgeous.
Susan, "We are slowly morphing into each other."
- Matthew Polenzani "Kleinzach" from The Tales of Hoffmann. He recently sang Hoffmann here and was marvalous. I shouted for him.
- Angela Meade "No, mi lasciate... Tu al cui sguardo." I Due Foscari. The audience loved her best. Her vocal gifts are truly astounding.
- Isabel Leonard "Ombre vane" from Griselda. She was spectacular in this at Santa Fe. It's too bad she couldn't sing the whole role, but maybe that would be too much. She was wonderful.
- Stephanie and Greer sang a scene from Samson and Dalilah, the heaviest item on the program.
- Susan sang "J'aime la militaire" from La Grand Duchesse de Girolstein by Offenbach with soldiers, uniform and everything. I should have gone to Santa Fe last summer.
- Stephen Costello sang "Salut demeure chaste et pure" from Faust. I hear weight coming into his voice.
- Renée "ombra di nube" by Refice.
- Joyce DiDonato "Tanti Affetti" from La Donna del Lago. I guessed it from the first 2 chords.
- Finale from William Tell.
This was a wonderful concert with a lot of spectacular singing. I would have liked more. I flagged this as television even though it wasn't for me. My favorites are Matthew, Joyce, Ailyn, Isabel, Renée and Susan, but truly I think I love them all. These people with maybe here and there others are the cream of American singing now. I don't know who picks them, but they have their shit together.
I'm going for Jamie this year. Who do you pick?