- Fleming and Graham Rosenkavalier HD ** I saw them together years ago in San Francisco, so for me it was a treat to watch this pairing again. Edo de Waart who was once with the San Francisco Symphony conducted. Met HD
- Carmen in HD ** This was one of the most spectacular performances in the entire HD series with beautiful singing, great atmosphere, and spectacular acting. Elīna Garanča and Roberto Alagna were surprisingly sympatico. This is one of the great things. Met HD ##20
- (JK) Werther at Bastille ** I gasped and carried on throughout the opera from my fabulous seat in what we would call the Grand Tier at the Paris Opera Bastille. Everything worked together to create an atmosphere of mysterious romance and doom. Special award for the best playing by an opera orchestra. The musical transformation of this opera was complete, and I have loved it ever since. Travel ##20
- (ND) La Sonnambula at Bastille ** While in Paris, I added a ticket to see Natalie Dessay in a traditional production of the sleep walker. This was my introduction to Javier Camarena who was an excellent operatic boy friend. Travel
- (CB) Philippe Jaroussky discovered at Julius Caesar in Paris ** I sat behind the singers at Salle Pleyel but could still tell I loved Philippe Jaroussky. Cecilia Bartoli was her usual fabulous self. I enjoyed absolutely everything I did in Paris. Travel
- Renée Fleming's Armida in HD ** Zimmerman crashed in Sonnambula, but her production here was a delight. And how can you not like 6 Rossini tenors? Met HD
- Die Walküre with Nina Stemme SFO ** I loved this even though it didn't have Jonas Kaufmann. The atmosphere and emotion were over the top. The Ring cycle is coming again in 2018 but will not have Nina. Local
- (AN) Netrebko's Don Pasquale HD ** This is the first time I have thought Don Pasquale was funny. It also featured the great male duo Matthew Polenzani and Mariusz Kwiecien. Met HD
- (CB) Clari DVD Bizarre and entirely unlikely. But fun. DVD
- A once in a lifetime experience from the Metropolitan in HD comes the wonderful, moving and quite spectacular Boris Godunov with René Pape. It was simply a great experience. Met HD
Singer of the Year
I am going to give the singing prize to Elīna Garanča.
I didn't really like Placido Domingo or the rest of the cast in Simon Boccanegra in HD. For me Patricia Racette's Faust from San Francisco completely fell flat. If I were her, I would not repeat this opera.
New to Me Opera
- Adès' The Tempest (2005) was a DVD. I liked it better when I heard the HD from the Met.
- Frankel's Grey Gardens (2006) musical was a DVD
- Halévy's Clari (1828) was a DVD
- Krása Brundibár (1942) was live in Sacramento. **
- Rossini's Armida (1817) was HD from the Met. **
##20 top 20 all time
** live, live stream or live in HD
Things recommended to buy