I traveled twice this year, first to Berlin for Strauss, and then to Paris.
For another perspective on 2016 see KK Awards.
- (JK) Jonas Kaufmann at La Scala was a Fathom Events broadcast of a concert. This is available on DVD and may be a better version than the CD recording. Fathom Event
- Der Vampyr ** at the Komische Oper Berlin was very fun and rather like a horror movie. I found this on my own which only made it better. Travel Live
- Elektra ** at the Deutsche Oper, Berlin. This was a fabulous cast, Evelyn Herlitzius, a very workable production and Donald Runnicles. This was the best of the Strauss in Berlin. Travel Live
- Elektra in HD ** The Met Elektra was close behind Berlin in excellence. This is a great opera which could be seen on the Met On Demand. Met HD
- Roberto Devereux in HD ** This was the third in Sondra Radvanovsky's tour de force three queens cycle at the Met. Her portrayal of Elizabeth I was spectacular. I liked the staging very much. Met HD
- Jenůfa at SFO. ** This was the highlight of the San Francisco Opera season with Karita Mattila in peak form. The intensity was at times overwhelming. Local Live ##
- Les Indes Galantes from Munich ** The Rameau music was so gorgeous that one didn't mind the regie production. The world needs more Rameau. Live Stream.
- Béatrice et Bénédict by Berlioz from Glyndebourne. ** It is shocking to me that I have never seen this charming opera performed before. The English love it because the story is from Shakespeare, and it was a Shakespeare year. Live Stream.
- Vĕc Makropulos at SFO ** Perhaps the San Francisco Opera will do Janáček every year. Nadja Michael made this very special. Local Live ##
- Tristan und Isolde in HD ** Simon Rattle conducted the most glorious Tristan of my lifetime. Met HD ##
- I'm going to award the singing prize to Sondra Radvanovsky.
Here is my list of new operas:
- Thomas Adès' Powder her Face at West Edge,
- Hector Berlioz' Béatrice et Bénédict streamed from Glyndebourne,
- Cavalli's Eliogabalo streamed from Paris
- Terence Blanchard's Champion live at Opera Parallèle
- Domenico Cimarosa's Il matrimonio segreto live at CSUS,
- Handel's Agrippina at West Edge,
- Paul Hindemith's Sancta Susanna live in Paris.
- Heinrich Marschner's Der Vampyr live in Berlin,
- Jean-Philippe Rameau's opéra-ballet Les Indes galante streamed from Munich,
- Bright Sheng's Dream of the Red Chamber live from San Francisco Opera,
- Stockhausen's Donnerstag aus Licht streamed from Basel,
- Strauss's Die ägyptische Helena live in Berlin,
- Strauss's Die Liebe der Danae live in Berlin
** live, live stream or live in HD